Thursday, February 16, 2012

Just so you know we're still here . . .

Things have hit a routine.  We'll start with Ken.  Ken's on swing shifts, a week on days, a week on nights.  There has been talk of going to 3 shifts instead of 2, but we'll see how that works out.  When he's at work during the day, he has the car.  When he works at night, he has PT at 11am.  Then leaves for work at 3pm.  They leave just a big enough window so we can't get away too far for too long.  We're still looking for another car.  It's not as easy as in Korea where there is always someone wanting to get rid of an older car.  But, I'm a homebody (and I'll be the first to admit it) so I don't mind.  It's nice to have him home when he's home.
As for me, I've sewn 2 quilt tops and the bottom to one.  I'll do the second bottom in the next day or 2 and then they will be ready to quilt.  And I'll be doing more.  Our ward is doing a quilt drive for the elderly low-income who participate in the brown bag program through a local food bank.  And I have LOTS of fabric I have to do SOMETHING with.  Maybe I'll convince someone else to do the actual quilting.  I also just had a birthday.  It was good.  I spent the day before cleaning like a mad woman because my parents were coming over to visit.  We went out to eat Friday night and it was (surprisingly) uneventful considering there were 4 adults and 4 kids at the table.  The highlight was seeing James eating with a spoon and fork, one in each hand, with penne pasta noodle sticking out of his mouth so he could blow through the holes.  What a silly guy!  Ken also had them sing to me.  I was only a LITTLE mortified.  I hate people singing to me.  But it's over for another year.  :)  I bought myself a little cheesecake sampler for my birthday cake, but haven't shared it with anyone.  That was my present to myself.  hehehe
Blake is active in Cub scouts again and loving.  He's discovered what going out and playing with friends is like.  He has had to learn the hard way what the consequences will be for being late or misbehaving or being disrespectful.  We let him out of solitary to go to my birthday dinner.
Cate has joined the first grade chorus.  She is loving it.  Her class is having a program on Feb. 16th.  She is SO excited for it.  We've been hearing about it for months.  She had her first sleepover at a neighbor's house.  The 2 girls promise each other almost every day to meet at the playground out back.  It's been really good for her to have another girl around.
James is crazy and FINALLY fully potty trained.  Orange M&Ms and promises of riding the school bus in a few months finally did the trick.  I'm SO excited!  James loves to make silly faces and make us laugh.  ALL the time!
Tate has hit the mimicking stage.  He is still clingy to me sometimes.  But he lets Ken take him to nursery at church and he actually stays the full 2 hours now.  If he cries, it only lasts for 5 minutes.  He runs around at break neck speed and it's a wonder he hasn't had any bruises or bumps or gashes.  He always seems to catch himself before he gets too hurt.
We all celebrated Valentines Day on Sunday with our annual family home evening event.  We take a piece of paper for each of us and pass it around.  As we pass it, we write down one thing we especially love about that person.  By the end, each person has their own sheet with 5 things that everyone loves about him/her.  Everyone enjoyed looking at last years answers too.  It's a nice reminder of how we're supposed to love each other.  Anyway, that's what's been going on since the last post.  Hope this finds you all well.

No comments: