It's been a while since the last post. My parents left for the airport this morning after a 10 day visit here, to South Korea. We all had fun. The older boys enjoyed goofing around with their Papa, Cathryn enjoyed cuddling with him, and James and Tate enjoyed cuddling and laughing with Grammy. It was a busy week, but we still didn't do as much as we could have. Ken could only get 2 days (besides the weekend) off. We were able to have Tate blessed in church while they were here too. I uploaded most of the pictures Mom and Dad took so I could have all kinds of different views. Dad went walking around our little area and took a bunch of random shots of things I don't even know where they're at. But, here are a few. I'll probably have to do a few different posts for their trip, but here's a start.
They arrived at our apartment around 10pm Wed, June 2. Ken was able to get the afternoon off to ride the bus up to Incheon, SK to the airport so he could get them off the plane and back down here. I picked them all up from the bus station in Pyeongtaek and took them home for the first night. The next day, while Ken had the car, we walked down to the market since it was market day. In the afternoon, we took care of registering them on post and getting them in lodging. Friday we just let them recover a bit from the trip and hung around the house. Saturday we went up to Seoul to the Korean War Museum. Now, it DOES have a lot on the actual Korean War, but it also has a lot more on the history of Korea and the wars it has fought, going back to the bronze age. Sunday was Tate's blessing. Monday we hung out at Mom and Dad's hotel room. Ken took Dad and Cathryn and James to the KATUSA snack bar on base (Korean food) while Mom, Tate, and I had lunch in the PX food court and looked at the gift shop in the PX. Ken and I took Mom and Dad to a great Korean restaurant (no, we didn't have dog) on Monday night, while a friend watched the older 3 kids. We walked through the streets with most of the souvenir shops afterwards, until Tate started screaming because he was hot. Tuesday we went to Lotte Mart, the equivalent of Target here, just to see what it was like. I had never been there before. Wednesday we hung out in Mom and Dad's hotel room again. Thursday Ken could only get a half day off, and James and Tate desperately needed their own beds to sleep in for naps, so we didn't do much then either. Friday we made a trip up to Suwon and saw a very small part of the Suwon Hwaesong Fortress. I will follow with a different post with pictures and a description from Dad about the happenings AFTER the fort. We got to eat Korean ice cream, take a course in mountain climbing 101 (we walked a LONG way UP and UP and UP), and I had the opportunity to nurse Tate sitting on the floor of an admission booth with 2 Korean women watching. It was a very interesting and tiring day.
And now they're on the plane, homeward bound. Leaving me behind to start counting the days until the next post. Pray for me to have the patience I need with this place, so that I will not go TOTALLY insane while we're here. Here are a few pictures to get you started.
Picture of the currency here, Won. James the first morning with the grandparents.
Cathryn, Me, Grammy, and James on our way to market day. This is a little pavilion on the way.
Main gate into Camp Humphreys. This is what James did the whole time.
We thought this was funny. It's off limits to soldiers. Mom thought it was a stop for a bus for wasted people at first.
This is what they call "The Ville", where all the shops and restaurants are that cater to Americans. It's just one long street.

2 comments:
Can you GET dog at a restaurant?
Yes Naomi, you can. They have dog farms for that purpose. And no, I WILL NOT try it. We have friends that did a few weeks ago and they said it wasn't very good. Most locals won't serve it to tourists because of the reaction we have to eating it. Sounds quite gross to me.
Post a Comment