Saturday, December 5, 2009

In other news . . . .




We went up to Alabama for Thanksgiving. I remembered to bring the camera, but forgot to take any pictures of the kids. My parents were in Utah so we had their house to ourselves. We spent most of the time at my brother's house letting the kids play. Tradition says my kids spend at least one night over at their house so that I (Ken too if he's there) can get a little break. Brave people, my brother and sis-in-law. That means 7 kids total. Ages: 10,8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 1. James doesn't sleep over yet or there would be another '1' at the end of that list. Blake & Cathryn stayed over 2 nights this time, since it was the last time we'll be there for a VERY long while. The day before Thanksgiving I made 2 pies: chocolate pecan (because what's Thanksgiving without Pecan Pie folks) and a HUGE fresh homemade apple pie. Both with homemade pie crusts made with half shortening and half REAL butter. I have only made homemade apple pie once before, and it didn't turn out so good. This one on the other hand, was GREAT!! Looked great, smelled great, tasted great (especially with Homemade Vanilla Blue Bell ice cream on top). I also made the dressing, sweet potato casserole, and green bean casserole. My sis-in-law, Toni, made the rolls (per Mom's recipe) and they were the BEST rolls ever!! I should have taken a picture. My brother fried the turkey. Kids helped set the table. And then we proceeded to cram ourselves around one table (3 adults and 8 kids) to eat as much as we could or wanted. Everything was delicious and I wish I would have remembered to get the camera to take a picture of everyone sitting down to eat. I DID remember to take pictures of the pies after they were baked. The kids & I stayed to watch the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving special, then went back to Mom & Dad's and crashed.

We stuck around until Sunday so we could Mom, Dad, and my sisters when they got back from Utah. I made them homemade cinnamon rolls (which I also should have taken pictures of). We were on the road by 1pm CST. We got home around 10:30pm EST, after only a few minor incidents with the kids and stupid people both on and off the road. The kids came home with croup and slight fevers, the illness taking effect in a domino effect. Blake was over it and was at school by Tuesday. Cathryn was out until Thursday. I took her & James to the doctor on Tuesday just to be sure it wasn't something worse. I should have asked to see their regular doctor. I ended up taking James in AGAIN on Thursday morning because he was up all Wednesday night having trouble breathing. They gave him Albuterol through a nebulizer there in the office and it helped a ton just with the one treatment. We walked out of there with a traumatized baby (he didn't like the mask even though he didn't have to actually wear it), Rxs for a nebulizer, more Albuterol vials for the nebulizer, steroids, and antibiotics. The antibiotics are only to be filled if his fever comes back at all. James has been getting the breathing treatments every 4 hours since then and seems to be getting back to his regular goofy self. He's not clinging to me as much and is actually playing. He's able to cough now, which he couldn't get a deep enough breath to do before, and is sleeping better. He still doesn't like being held down for 10-20 minutes for the treatment, but he's doing better with it.

So that's the news on the Danley front. Besides the fact that we have dates and know when we're leaving (see previous post). Now we just have to survive the last few weeks of the year and we'll be good!!

No comments: