Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Ken's Letter

For those not on Ken's email list, this is the email he sent to everyone he had addresses for.

Hello to everybody,

I need to write you all to let you know how things are here, how the army is, and of course how I'm doing. First to ease Heidi's mind with the questions, we are waiting on getting a command sponsorship so she and the family can accompany me. She is also still waiting on passports. I did talk to housing and they said that our apartment would be completely furnished with everything we needed for our entire stay. We are hoping she can get here before Christmas as she will be getting late into her pregnancy at that time.

Korea is a beautiful place. And the weather is wonderful. It has been in the low 70's in the day and high 50's during the evening. This past weekend we received a lot of rain, but it was manageable. My first day at Camp Humphrey's was bitter cold for this Florida boy. It got down into the 30's, complaints were made that the barracks were cold, so the heaters were turned on. Now that its warm again the heaters continue to run at an even 85 in the room. It is miserable. I can't wait to get an apartment so I can control my own thermostat.

I have been off post a few times. The food here is good. At the restaurants you take your shoes off in the foyer, then the tables are a foot and a half off the ground. Pads are placed under your bum for comfort and the floors are heated. Most of Korean food is very spicy. I would say a lot like Indian food. They eat a lot of vegetables and pork. I'm still getting used to the metal chop sticks, that will come with time.

Army life is about as productive as a quadriplegic swimmer. Six guys will spend all day going a job that takes a civilian a few hours. Then they complain because they have to do the work. At this point in the game I have to live with it. Maybe later I can get a little more motivation, then again this is the Army. My job here will be atcs, which is an Air traffic controller who sits in a remote location, usually up on a hill so we can receive better radio reception. Most of the job is talking on the radio to different aircraft (helicopters). I will be going on missions about 1 week every month. And when we're not on missions we do routine maintenance on the trucks and the radios. Another perk to being in Korea is the holidays. We get off on all US holidays as well as all Korean holidays, which means we get more that double the days off as you in the states. And of course the biggest down side to being in Korea is the 14 hour time difference. We watch Monday Night Football on Tuesday at lunch, live. college football is on early Sunday morning, like 1 am. And talking to Heidi takes great skill. I either have to stay up really late, or she has to get up early and everyone knows thats not going to happen. Weekends are better for phone conversations.

My back is getting better. We still don't know the problem. I think it's a pinched nerve. I will see my Doctor on Nov. 24. I am on a profile until then, which means no running, no sit-ups, and no lifting. I still have to do push-ups.

If anyone has any questions feel free to email me at this address. I'll try to write more often.

Love,
Kenneth

My address is PFC Danley, Kenneth
4-58 AOB Unit 15463 Box 70
APO, AP, 96271

No comments: