Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day . . . today, right?

Well, it's supposedly Mother's Day, somewhere anyway. We did go to church and heard all the wonderful Mother's Day talks (that often times make you feel a little guilty for not meeting up to THOSE mothers' deeds and standards). The mothers got roses (and how am I supposed to carry that with a diaper bag and a baby and get 2 kids to Primary?); nice thought though. And it was pretty, before I left it in the car after we got home. Maybe it will revive. Another reason I don't garden or touch plants. They don't like me. Anyway, this day was much like any other, only interspersed with Happy Mother's Day, Mom! from the older 2 kids, between their fighting and bickering. Yeah, just a normal day. I don't think they get it. They did get me a card (via Nana) that came in the mail yesterday. They insisted on opening it early. So, no gifts really. I could count them getting ready for church without much fuss and being able to pass them off to their teachers at church and not having to deal with them for 2 hours. I still had the baby, but he slept most of the time anyway. I did get to talk to Ken (who forgot about it because he's lost track of actual dates and such). We're all sick (Ken included only he's got the flu and pink eye) with cold/sinus stuff. So, maybe this IS a "man's" holiday, Jessie. Maybe it was invented for them to be able to toot their own horn on how they actually CAN do something around the house sometimes; maybe; okay once a year. :)

I AM thankful to be a mother, no matter how this sounds. My kids CAN be good on various different occasions (and for OTHER people). Their kisses and hugs are more precious now because they are becoming hard to get from them as they get older. I am grateful that we have the chance to become an eternal family. That gives us a goal. But for now, on this Mother's Day that's like any other day, I am just thankful we all survived. Everyone's alive and whole and it's almost bed time; 1 down, 2 to go. It's this time of day that I am MOST thankful for them. For then they are quiet and I can look at them when they are sleeping and "remember when" and try to keep time from passing. But time passes, kids wake up (hopefully not before 6:30am), and they keep growing. My dad told me last week that I would look back on this time with fondness. I said, "What?! Fondness? I don't think so." But maybe I won't have total amnesia and I'll "remember when" and be able to laugh about some things. For now, I'll try to remember the sunshine moments (as one mother I know calls them) and not go totally insane.

So, to all the mothers in my life, past, present, and future, Happy Mothers Day! May you all enjoy these days of your lives, try to remember the good things, and in the middle of those two things, try not to go TOTALLY insane. Because let's face it ladies, once we've entered into motherhood, we've all crossed a line into insanity. But . . . It's not the insanity that matters; it's how we handle it.

1 comment:

McFarland Family said...

Hey, maybe since it's a day the same as the others, that means every day is Mother's Day. Ok, that's a little too "glass half-full-ish" for me.