Tuesday, December 16, 2008

In the Army now . . .

Well, he did it. Ken joined the Army. He has been looking for a job for a while now. He set a deadline for Nov. 7th, and said that if there were no good prospects he would go talk the the recruiter. It was all down hill from there. He went into MEPS on Nov. 14th for the physical. After much ado for getting the waivers done, talking to 2 CO's, and 2 trips to Tampa (MEPS), Ken was sworn into the US Army last Wednesday. He is officially a Private First Class (PFC). Ken reports to Tampa for last minute stuff on March 18th, where he will stay until his report date for Basic Training, March 27th, in Fort Benning, Georgia. After 10 weeks, he will report to Fort Rucker, AL for his AIT (Advanced Individual Training) in Air Traffc control. Everyone is asking "How does your wife feel about this?" Ken answers with "It was HER idea!" Well, maybe a little, but Ken found his way. ;) It will be a good change for us all, I think. The kids & I will be able to visit him in Fort Rucker on the weekends. We figured out that he will return home, in Saint Cloud, around the middle of September. Then he gets 2 weeks light duty. THEN . . . we're off to wherever the Army sees fit to send us. All the possibilities and opportunities are ahead of us now. It's time for us to spread our wings and get a change of scenery. We'll be keeping everyone posted of the changes that will take place in the next year.

3 comments:

Ticey said...

Good luck! With a brother in the Marines (serving in Iraq) and another brother in the Army (boot camp), a sister-in-law in the Marines and a brother-in-law KIA, I know what you're headed into! If you ever need advice or a shoulder, I'm here!

Anonymous said...

Shave your facial hair and get a nice but short haircut before you report to Basic Training. DO NOT shave your head. Start training physically now so Basic will be easier. Also, start getting up very early to acclimate your body. And take cold showers that last no longer then three minutes.

You'll do fine.

Go Air Force!

Dead Poet said...

I have a friend who is doing the exact same thing as Ken will be, right now. He was in Fort Benning for Basic and is now in Fort Rucker for AIT in Air Traffic Control (I checked). Neat-o! Except he is in the Army National Guard, though he is thinking of going full-time. I agree with Brent. Get in shape now! My friend has said that it made basic soooooo much easier! Congratulations, I hope he likes it!