Monday, June 28, 2010

Italian Breakfast Frittata

I went to a baby shower a few years ago where someone had made a tomato frittata for one of the buffet dishes. I took used that as the base recipe for this, and added a few different ingredients. If you try it, I hope you like it.


Italian Breakfast Frittata
1/4 C butter
4-6 slices of bacon
6 eggs
1 C shredded cheese
1 C heavy whipping cream, or milk
2 Tbsp flour
Salt & pepper
1-14oz can Italian diced tomatoes

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brown bacon until crisp. Dice or break into bite size pieces. Put butter into 8x8 (or 9x9) square dish. Put into the oven to melt. While butter is melting, whisk together eggs, cheese, cream, flour, and salt and pepper until frothy. Open can of tomatoes and slightly drain. Stir tomatoes and bacon into egg mixture. Pull dish out of the oven and pour eggs into the dish. Bake for 30-45 minutes or until eggs are set and it's not runny in the middle. (I tested it with a toothpick.) Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.

*I would recommend setting the timer for the lesser time and then checking it. You don't want it to dry out or burn on the bottom.
*You could totally try this using muffin tins for individual servings. If I did this, I would add the bacon to the top instead of mixing it in, for nicer presentation.

No comments: