Friday, April 2, 2010

Tate Benjamin Danley

The saga started March 31st when the doctor wanted me to come in that night for the start of their induction process. It was changed to showing up around 3-4pm April 1st to start it. Well, I woke up at 4:30am with contractions that didn't let up and didn't go away when I tried all the usual stuff. Plus, they were 5-10 minutes apart. We called the babysitter and she got to the apartment around 6am. We went over everything for the kids with her and left to go to the clinic on base. From there, I took the ambulance and Ken followed in the van so we wouldn't have to worry about getting him home and getting my things and stuff like that. Contractions were good for a few hours, then let up. Can you say April fools? They gave me a pill to soften my cervix and told me to wait. So, wait I did, while 2 other ladies in the labor room were wheeled into delivery and gave birth. Yeah, can you say jealous? They wheeled me upstairs to give me a catheter for the epidural to be used later. Yes, they do that in a whole other floor of the hospital, with masks, hair covers, everything. They made Ken wait outside the whole wing. They moved us to a private room around 1pm where they let me eat lunch and rest, while Ken slept on the couch. 12 hours after they gave me the cervical pill, they took it out and gave me another one. This one seemed to work well, but they didn't keep it in. They took it out because of the contractions it was inducing and let me sleep. I would have kept it in myself, but they wouldn't listen to me.

Anyway, they started the induction drugs at 7am. I asked to have the pain drugs around 9am because the contractions were about 2 minutes apart, with only about 30 seconds in between. Going good and strong. They gave me a couple of shots through the catheter. Then I asked for more around 10:15am because it was only working on 1 side and I knew they had only given me the minimum amount. Things went REALLY fast after that. My water broke on it's own (first time ever) at 10:50, right after Ken left to take a break and try to Skype some people to let them know what was going on. Next thing we know, I had made it from a 5cm dilation at the time of my water breaking, to ready to push around 11:30am. Ken had to wear the whole gown, hat, mask get up for the first time. Tate was born at 11:52am, 2 April 2010. He weighed 9.5lbs, measured 20.5 inches. Largest baby yet that I know of, of any of the grandbabies. At least on my side. We are all doing well. As I write this, Ken is on the way with the older 3 kids to meet Tate and see how they react. (Okay, see how James reacts.) We're healthy and happy, and can't wait to go home on our Sunday and start a new life with 4 kids instead of 3.

This is how Ken spent the day after labor stopped and they kept me here anyway.


Had to get a shot of the hair. Neither of the other boys had NEARLY that much, if any. Tate didn't like his hat being off, or the bright lights.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Congratulations to your family!