So, I've had a lot of people ask what Ken has been doing. We got a package from him yesterday. It was just the original documents (birth certs., SS cards, and such) , but it also had a letter for the older kids and some daily logs of what he's been doing. I thought some of you would be interested as to what daily life has been like for him his first week in reception. I'll probably post more as he sends them, probably in weekly increments like this. Enjoy!
Day 0 (3/18)
Report to MEPS in Tampa at 0600. Swear in at 1200. Get on bus to Ft. Benning. Arrive at 20:30 (8:30pm). Strip us of things that don't belong, give us PTs. Brief us and finally send us to bed at 0230.
Day 1
Wake at 0330 and brief for several hours then have breakfast. Get a lot of uniforms, get dental records, then sit and wait for 2 hours. After having 1 hour of sleep we were all falling asleep for our 2 hours rest.
Day 2
This morning we woke at 0400 and went to breakfast. That was at 0530. All we ever do is wait, stand, and wait, sit, and wait, wait, wait. We stood in line for an hour and half for boots and never got any.
Day 3
A little about meal time. Everyone files in to the mess hall. Everyone then shovels food. There is no looking around and no talking. If one does, a mean (for the kids) drill instructor yells at you. All in all drill instructors aren't bad. They like to be able to joke around if everyone is doing what is told. While we eat, we must look forward, don't talk, feet flat on the floor, heels together. And you must drink 2 glasses of drink. If you get up with drink left, they make you sit down and finish. Drill sergeants are constantly on us to eat fast. Saturday was the best foos day. We had cheeseburgers, chicken nuggets, french fries, onion rings, and Jell-o that was 3 inches thick.
Day 4
Sunday was a light day. We went to breakfast then formation. After everything we do, we get into formation. Then we went to service. There is another LDS member in my group of 43 and out of the 195 I think there was about 8-9. So we went to service and they know I'm a return missionary. I will probably have to give a talk. They gave me a military quad which consists of the BofM, New Test., P of GP, D&C, and Gospel Principles. There was about 60 soldiers at the service. After, we had lunch, cleaned the barracks, then went to the auditorium and watched the first episode of Band of Brothers. After we had dinner and personal time.
Day 5
Today I finally got boots. 2 pairs, winter and summer. I also got my rank insignia. After dinner we were "smoked". Smoked meaning we got in trouble for doing something stupid. From what I heard, some privates ate from the ice cream machine during meal time. We did push ups with our backpacks filled with boots. Not fun.
Day 6
It was a light day. Started at 0330. Wake up, formation at 0420 then we learned some PT (physical training) which was very nice. Much better than sitting around waiting for sergeant. We did calisthenics for what seemed like a long time. Then we had breakfast. Then we got all our belongings together and checked to make sure everybody had everything. We found out who was leaving this weekend. Everyone with medical or paperwork problems have to stay back until the problem is fixed. I got my military ID, had a sit fest, then went to chow for dinner.

2 comments:
Better Ken than me!!
Heidi, PLEASE keep posting these. I love it! It brings back memories from when I was in Basic. Two glasses of beverage at chow. :) Those were the days...
Sounds like Ken is doing well.
Post a Comment