Well, the past couple of weeks have been a little crazy. All of Ken's siblings came into town the first week in March. Partly to see Ken one last time before he loses his gut. HA! And partly for their dad's birthday, a little early. Then last weekend, Ken's mom came into town to see him too. I had the flu, but the kids and Ken had fun playing games with her and showing her their favorite Pixar Short movies. Yesterday we went shopping for the little travel things Ken needed to take with him until he gets to the reception battalion at Ft. Benning. We went out to eat at Fuddruckers for his birthday dinner (again, early as he won't be here) and then to his dad's house for blessings. I told Ken that I remembered my dad giving us all Father's blessings before he would leave for long cruises for the Navy. I still remember the old chair with the green fake leather seat he used, maybe just once, I don't know. Anyway, I thought it would be nice and Ken needed one from his dad anyway. So, Ken went first, then Blake. Cathryn kept saying she was happy and would be happy when Daddy left. She didn't get one, but she doesn't really understand it all the way yet. I had one the night before from Ken. It was really nice to do that on his last night here.
Today Cathryn, James, & I dropped Ken off at the recruiter's office in Kissimmee this afternoon after lunch. After MORE paperwork, and verifying that Ken had all the documents on me and the kids that he needed, he was set to go. The 'bus' (more of a van) got there a little after 12:30pm. I didn't totally lose it and I waited until we got to the car so he wouldn't see me cry a little. (I'm sure he's seen enough of that lately.) Cathryn wanted to watch the bus drive away, so we waited until they left before we drove off. At first she said she wanted to go with him, but then got sort of clingy to me when she realized she couldn't. She seems fine right now, just a little sad. Ken got to drop Blake off at school one last time this morning, so Blake's been distracted with school today. We'll see how he is when he gets home.
We found out that he WAS allowed to take his cell phone with him and he will have an Army email address, as well as the snail mail. If he wants his cell, I can mail it to him, but he said he could do with just the email. His recruiter said that they get time on Sunday to go to church and go to the library to email and such. I don't have that info right now, but I'll pass it along when I get it. Ken is excited and just ready to get it done. He said he wasn't apprehensive or nervous, but was ready. We're as prepared as we'll ever be, I think, and with faith and prayer, and all the support I know we have, we'll all make it through this short separation.
Oh, and I'm taking bets on how much weight Ken is going to lose during just the first 10 weeks, for basic. He's at 190lbs right now. The prize will be a few dozen of your favorite cookies, homemade. So, make your guesses known and we'll see who wins!!

3 comments:
I'll guess 19 pounds. Just off the top of my head. Seeing as I haven't seen Ken since when?
You sound to be doing okay. That's good, keep it up. You'll be fine. Does he get any break b/w basic and AIT? Call whenever you need to, I can always call you back to save minutes.
I sure hope Ken does well. Thank you for the info, Heidi.
My guess is 22 pounds. He's going to do great.
Post a Comment